- School Info
Independent Study Contracts
CAPISTRANO UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Esencia K-8 School
Independent Study Contract (ISC) Request
The request for an ISC contract must be completed and submitted no less than 10 school days prior to the first day of expected absence.
It is recognized that a missed day of instruction cannot be duplicated. Moreover, with instructors diligently preparing students for the highly interactive core curriculum state standards, it is imperative all students consistently attend school. Throughout the year, vacation days are provided for all students and their families.
ISC contract dates will not be approved for blackout periods due to administrative discretion, grading periods, finals, and/or testing. This means no requested date of the absence can occur during the blackout dates listed below. Students who have unexcused absences can still request work from their teachers. It is up to each individual teacher’s discretion as to what schoolwork, if any, should be provided, graded, accepted, made-up upon return, and/or recreated.
2023-2024 ISC Blackout Dates:
August 15, 2023-August 31, 2023
October 9, 2023-October 13, 2023 (middle school)
December 18, 2023- Dec 21, 2023 (middle school)
March 11, 2024-March 15, 2024 (middle school)
May 16, 2024-May 30, 2024
With that said, if an unavoidable occasion should arise wherein a student must miss three or more consecutive instructional school days, but no more than 14, the student may request an ISC if it is not during the blackout dates. To request an ISC, please contact Joanne Bolokowicz: firstname.lastname@example.org (Elementary School) or Sasha Bertucci: email@example.com (Middle School)
Board Policy on Independent Study BP-6158
To request an ISC, please first review the criteria outlined below:
- The request for an ISC contract must be completed and submitted no less than 10 school days prior to the first day of expected absence. Request form is attached.
- Extenuating circumstances will require documentation prior to consideration for approval.
- The request will be reviewed by an administrator who will examine the student’s grades, test scores and attendance records.
- Parents of students who are receiving IEP or 504 services must contact the Case Carrier regarding the ISC request.
- Students who have been approved for a previous ISC and who did not complete assignments will be denied future ISC.
If the ISC is approved, the student agrees to comply with the following policies as listed:
- The student is expected to complete the ISC Assignment Cover Sheet and turn in all completed work to the front office by 8:15 am on the first school day the student returns to school. Late work will not be accepted.
- The student is expected to check Canvas daily and keep up with posted assignments.
- Students will make-up tests/quizzes and/or assignments missed during the ISC period upon return.
- If the student is unable to access Canvas for the duration of the absence, arrangements will be made with administration prior to the grant or denial of the ISC.
- Assignments that cannot be accessed via Canvas will be provided to the student as deemed appropriate by the instructor.
- Requested ISC assignments cannot be given to the student prior to the day before the student’s first day of absence.
- Upon the day of the student’s return, the student will be held to the assignment due dates and quiz/test dates.
Please include the following information in your ISC request email no less than ten school days prior to the first day of your student’s absence.
- Student Name
- Today’s date
- First day of absence
- Date of return
- Total number of school days missed
- Will student have internet access?
- Is your student receiving IEP services?